Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cutting to Size

in my last post, i uploaded a picture of my really gorgeous rocking chair. the problem with it is that it is not as comfortable as i expected it to be. as a furniture maker, i strongly believe that a rocking chair is not worth a dime if i am not comfortable on it. hence, after a couple of measurements and a little prayer, i started cutting up my gorgeous rocking chair.





i removed 3 inches out of the front legs and 3.5 inches out of the back legs to give me a more reclined position and to lower the profile of the chair so that my feet can reach the floor. i spend almost all of my tv time sitting on this rocking chair so i know that as the minutes pass sitting on the chair, it becomes uncomfortable if my legs hang in the air. nevertheless, as i was cutting up the chair, all i can think of is "please God, don't let me make a mistake".



i'm thinking of michael jackson who does not seem to know when to stop, but what the heck, i can make a new one if i mess this up, mj can't get a new face even if he messed it up. i don't know yet if my modification destroyed my gorgeous chair. i'll find out tomorrow when i sit on it to watch santino.



see also this photo of my helper removing the rocker. this picture definitely proves that what we are cutting up is the gorgeous chair posted in the last post.



i also cut up the back brace to lower it a bit to adjust it precisely so it will cradle my neck but i did not take a picture anymore. all i was thinking was that if it's a mistake to lower the back brace, i don't want any evidence of my foolishness. hehe.

p.s. = the chair did not look as good as before but it sure felt a lot more comfortable for me. but with the shortening of the legs, the center of gravity was lowered while the arc of the rocker remained the same thus making for a shorter pendulum action resulting in a faster rocking motion (in other words, less gentle). i might discard the rocker and build a new one in pursuit of perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment